Ever heard the slogan, “if you got it, a truck brought it”? Whether you agree with it or not, it certainly holds weight to some extent. The truck industry is responsible for transporting nearly all the goods that are available on the shelves of a store. No matter the conditions, this industry continues to work and supply us with everything we need.
Schneider National Inc. is a renowned and respected name in this field. It is one of the largest players in the Full Truckload carrier market. Previously referred to as a slow-moving industry, trucking is now experiencing a dramatic shift with the rise of the digital age. Schneider was one of the first corporations to recognize this trend and take steps to improve its operations to gain the upper hand.
Schneider offers a number of truckloads, intermodal, and logistic services. If you are interested in working for a trucking company that the National Transportation Institute has ranked as the top-paying carrier, then Schneider National Inc. should be your number one choice. Here is a comprehensive review of the trucking market giant.
[thrive_custom_fields_shortcode_data id=’14::acf_company_name’ inline=’1′]
[thrive_custom_fields_shortcode_data id=’14::acf_full_address’ inline=’1′]
[thrive_custom_fields_shortcode_data id=’14::acf_phone_number’ inline=’1′]
[tcb_custom_field data-field-type=’image’ data-id=’acf_company_logo’ data-classes=”tve_image”]
Who is Schneider National Inc.?
Schneider National Inc. is a family-owned private organization. It was founded by Al Schneider in 1935. He sold his family car to buy a truck which he then used for supplying goods. What began with one truck, expanded nationwide. You may know it as the largest truckload carrier in North America; it was not so large before the 1980s.
At the time, the trucking industry was very deregulated. This caused a number of small trucking firms to run out of business but not Schnieder. It deployed an advanced communication technology, which has helped it soaring to the front.
Today, there are 18,000 trucks and 48,000 trailers in Schneider’s fleet. It offers an incredible logistics service that helps distributors ship their goods more efficiently and speedily. Its supply line of orange trucks is spread everywhere inside America and outside in China.
Schneider National Inc. Careers
Contrary to what most people believe, Schneider National Inc. is not just about trucks and drivers. It operates in all the 48 contiguous states, so it employs a large number of people for a variety of operations.
Applicants can choose a job according to their experience. They offer different packages for interns, fresh graduates, and experienced personnel. The various career paths offered by Schnieder include,
Customer Care Careers
- Internship: The Customer Care department at Schnieder is huge. Internees act as Customer Care Representatives and help draft transportation solutions for customers.
- Customer Care Representative: Workers are hired as Customer Care Representatives who work as the face of the company.
- Support Shift Representatives: They are responsible for customer relations during the second and third shifts.
- Equipment Coordinators: People working as equipment coordinators ensure that the trailers are utilized efficiently and responsibly.
- Customer Service Manager: You can also apply for the Customer Service Manager, who is responsible for managing a team of customer service representatives.
- Support Shift Manager: This is the individual who leads the support shift representatives of the second and third shifts.
- Equipment Manager: They are responsible for managing a team of equipment coordinators.
Engineering and Analytics Careers
Schneider has an award-winning Engineering, Operations Research, and Data Science Department. Here the employees have the freedom to handle problems and propose solutions that are actually implemented.
- Internship: Engineering interns collaborate with senior leadership and come up with solutions for the challenges that hinder technological advancements in the transportation industry.
- Operations Research Engineer: Recent graduates can apply for the post of Operations Research Engineer who nurture strong working relationships with clients to understand their business better and come up with the tools and solutions for its betterment.
- Advanced Analytics Analyst: They are responsible for creating tools and solutions that support the Schnieder enterprise. A Data Science Engineer who carefully studies statistical and machine learning data propose solutions for the client’s business problems.
- Data Science Engineer: These employees make use of statistical and machine-learned data to recommend advanced analytic and predictive models.
- Senior Operations Research Engineer: These engineers work with other engineers and senior business leaders to develop models to overcome the challenges faced by complex businesses.
- Advanced Analytics Lead: Advanced Analysts Lead develops tools and applications capable of offering analytics solutions for the enterprise.
- Senior Data Scientist: Senior Data Scientists lead the analysis and interpretation of a huge database to offer recommendations for an improved business strategy.
Facilities and Security Careers
The facilities and security personnel work hard to establish a comfortable and safe working environment for other employees. The career opportunities in this department include:
- Internship: Interns for this department are allowed to have real-life experiences by working in a number of departments form interior design to security.
- Security Services Technician: They are responsible for providing security via remote control gates.
- Mail Print Services Technician: Their task is to print, copy, mail, ship, and receive for all the business sectors of Schneider National Inc.
Finance and Accounting Careers
The company greatly relies on its finance and accounting department to take the business decisions, analyze, and interpret their consequences and make a forecast. Here are the career opportunities offered in this department.
- Internship: Interns in the Finance and Accounting department are allowed to work along with a team that manages the budget and profit and losses of one of the top organizations in transportation.
- Accounts Payable Representative: These employees are responsible for processing all the organization’s payments efficiently, accurately, and timely.
- Accounts Receivable Representative: They utilize a number of techniques to reduce outstanding receivables.
- Credit Specialist: They have a critical role to play. They protect the company’s investment by generating additional sources of profit and sales.
- Financial Analyst: They are responsible for managing the financial and operational matters of different departments.
- Corporate Accountant: They play an important role in the sub-ledger closing procedure. They understand the financial cycle and work for its improvement.
- Financial Manager: They are the leaders and support the company’s operational and financial matters. They offer insight for its betterment.
Human Resources Careers
Human resources are the backbone of any organization. They are responsible for developing the most prized asset of the company: its team. The following are the Human Resources career opportunities at Schneider.
- Internship: Internship in HR allows you to work in the close proximity of the professional HR corporate world.
- Compliance Specialist: They are responsible for processing claims and documentation of the employees working in the US.
- Driver Recruiter: They interact with potential drivers, instructors, and owner-operators to pick out the ones who are better for the company.
- Recruiter Assistant: They are the first person that potential associates come in contact with. They receive applications, schedule interviews, and perform other similar tasks.
- Recruiting Operations Manager: They are the leaders of driver recruiters who sell career opportunities or other drivers.
- Corporate Recruiter: They are responsible for attracting and hiring talented individuals for the company.
- Benefits Analyst: They implement and oversee that all the employees of the company are provided the entitled health, wellness, and retirement benefits.
These are some of the multitudes of career opportunities offered by Schnieder. You can check them all out on the company website. If you are looking to join them, be sure to apply for a position you are more suited and experienced for.
Schneider National Inc. Pay Scale, Salary, and Benefits
Schneider National Inc. ranks at number 76 on the Best Transportation Companies to work for in America. They have a diverse team of employees working for it. Regardless of being male or female to belonging to any ethnicity, all employees are entitled to the same benefits and salaries.
The average yearly salaries of the drivers working for the enterprise are given below.
- Commercial Driver: $39,763
- Company Driver: $35,474
- Delivery Driver: $44,673
- Driver: $42,779
- Driver Trainer: $56,347
- Local Driver: $43,268
- Owner Operator Driver: $60,189
- Professional Driver: $38,569
- Regional Driver: $41,825
- Tanker Driver: $32,765
- Team Driver: $49,254
- Tractor Trailer Driver: $32,850
- Truck Driver: $46,119
- Van Driver: $33,005
Schneider offers a comprehensive benefits program to facilitate its drivers and associates. These include:
- Medical Benefits: Experienced drivers are entitled to the health benefits 60 days after employment, while new CFL holders can benefit from it 90 days after hiring.
- Paid Time Off: It depends upon the period of service. For example, for one year of service, the drivers get one week of paid time off, and for 15 years of service, they get four weeks of paid time off.
- Detention and Layover Pay: Schnieder takes full responsibility for paying both detention and layover pays.
- Military Pay and Benefits: The company continues the pay of the employees who are involuntarily activated or deployed for up to 18 months.
- 401k Program: The company offers matching contributions up to 6%. For one to four percent, Schneider matches $.50 per dollar, while for five to six percent, Schneider matches dollar for dollar.
- Discount Program: Schnieder employees enjoy year-round discounts from a number of national and local companies.
- Advantage Club: After five years of service, driver associates are granted access to the advantage club. This gives them the opportunity to attend various sporting events.
Minimum Requirements For Schneider National Inc. Drivers
For a corporation so large, Schneider does not have many requirements for hiring new driver associates. The minimum hiring requirements and qualifications include.
- Having a valid Class A Commercial Driving License (CDL).
- Hazmat endorsement is a requirement or a preference for many positions.
- Depending upon the position, they require drivers to live near a terminal or in a particular state.
- Having a Passport, FAST card, or an Enhanced CDL will open more opportunities.
- Although, for its driver associates, it does not ask for any prior experience. But some positions do require three to six months of prior experience.
- Applicants for team drivers may be required to arrange their own partners.
- Applicants with felony backgrounds will be treated on an individual case basis. No one case can influence the hiring process of the other case.
- Applicants should not have any drug or alcohol abuse cases for the last five years, one in the last seven years and no more than two in their lifetime. They have a strict no-tolerance policy for this kind of attitude.
- The minimum age requirement at Schneider is 21 years.
Schneider National Inc. Review From Employees
Schneider National Inc. is the largest truckload carrier for a reason. It is dedicated to its employees, drivers, and associates, and they all reciprocate. Here are some of the reviews about the company from its current employees.
“They put the driver 1st. They want to know how your experience is with their customers and other partners. If they feel there is a problem, they make changes to ensure drivers are happy,” said a Former Regional Truck Driver.
“Schneider will take a new driver and instill values along with a lot of training and create a well rounded, safe driver. Not too many companies will take the time and money involved to do this. Yes, there are companies where you can make more money, but I have been here for two years, and I have no complaints. If there’s something that you don’t like, they’re always willing to talk with you about it and make some changes they’re all about their drivers,“ states a Current driver associate from Phoenix.
“A great company to work for if you are just starting out and looking to learn more about the trucking industry and how it works. Very good with communicating with drivers,” reviews a Current Class A CDL Truck Driver.
Schneider National Inc. Locations
Schneider National Inc. was founded in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It is still headquartered there. It operates and hires from all the 48 contiguous states. They have a nation-wide network of facilities and offices. The locations include:
- Atlanta, GA
- Chambersburg, PA
- Charlotte, NC
- Chicago, IL
- Columbus, OH
- Dallas, TX
- Des Moines, IA
- Edwardsville, IL
- El Paso, TX
- Farmington Hills, MI
- Gardena, CA
- Gary, IN
- Grapevine, TX
- Green Bay, WI
- Guelph, Ontario
- Hampton, VA
- Harrisburg, PA
Being the largest truckload carrier giant in North America, it has numerous terminals dotted all over the US. These include:
- London, KY
- Indianapolis, IN
- Houston, TX
- Green Bay, WI
- Obetz, OH
- West Memphis, AR
- Laredo, TX
- Shrewsbury, MA
- Wintersville, OH
- Des Moines, IA
- Fontana, CA
- Charlotte, NC
- Dallas, TX
- Portland, OR
We agree that the truck industry is responsible for moving our life in one way or another. With the dawn of digitization, the slow-paced industry has evolved into a faster and much more capable version of itself. It may be partially due to distributors like Amazon, who promise timely delivery. But mostly due to Schneider’s open attitude towards technological advances.
It has greatly revolutionized the industry and has established a reliable name for itself. It employees a large number of people in its team. If you are an aspirant, be sure to check out the careers it is offering. You will surely find a match for yourself.
Other Trucking Company Reviews
Here are some other trucking company reviews for your convenience: